25 December 2006

berlioz says it better.

I was listening to the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra's recording of Hector Berlioz's 'Symphonie Fantastique.' Directed by Paavo Jaervi, this is probably the best recording of the piece I've heard yet. With a set of Verdin Co. bells for the Dies Irae, I think we can all officially tell AC/DC to suck it up and listen to the real deal. The jacket of the CD included a quotation from the composer that I saw once and chose to promptly forget, primarily becauase it seemed contrived at the time.

"Which of two powers, love or music, can elevate man to the sublimest heights? It is a great problem, and yet it seems to me that this is the answer: 'Love can give no idea of music; music can give an idea of love.' Why separate them? They are the two wings of the soul."

As a side note, my dad's new receiver and revamped speakers probably didn't hurt the experience. I love it when music sounds like it really should.

1 comment:

carillonista said...

Those wings are clearly unbalanced. The music-love bird flies in circles as a result.